Iceland, the stuff of wanderlust dreams, reigns supreme on the global adventure map! The quest for safe, thrilling journeys fuels every traveler's fire and Iceland continues to top the lists of must-visit places for adventurers around the globe. In the 2023 Global Peace Index (GPI), Iceland has proudly clinched the title of 'The Safest Country in the World.'
Conducted annually by the Institute of Economics and Peace, the GPI meticulously evaluates countries based on several crucial criteria. These include the prevalence of crime, levels of violence, terrorism, and involvement in global conflicts. Iceland's consistent reign as the world's safest and most peaceful country since 2008 is a testament to its remarkable low crime rates and stable environment.
While Iceland maintains its top position, some countries have taken the world by surprise. The United States, for example, secured the 133rd spot on the chart, raising eyebrows and prompting questions about safety within its borders. Surprisingly, India, ranked 126th, outpaces the United States, as do countries like China, Saudi Arabia, El Salvador, and Honduras, underlining the changing dynamics of safety on a global scale.
For travelers planning their Icelandic adventure, here are some prime destinations to consider:
1. The Blue Lagoon: Immerse yourself in the warm, mineral-rich waters of this geothermal spa nestled in a lava field, known for its skincare benefits and relaxation.
2. Reykjavik: Explore Iceland's vibrant capital city, replete with scenic beauty, a lively music scene, and an array of outstanding restaurants.
3. Thingvellir National Park: Discover the awe-inspiring UNESCO World Heritage Site where you can literally walk between tectonic plates.
4. Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon: Indulge your passion for photography in this picturesque glacial lagoon, brimming with majestic icebergs.
5. Vatnajokull National Park: Explore the diverse landscapes of southeastern Iceland, from glaciers and volcanoes to lush valleys and canyons.
6. Akureyri: Iceland's second-largest city serves as an ideal base for countryside exploration.
7. The Westfjords: Experience the unspoiled beauty of Iceland's remote and less-visited Westfjords, renowned for their raw landscapes and abundant birdwatching opportunities.
With its remarkable blend of safety and stunning landscapes, Iceland truly stands as a dream destination for those in search of a once-in-a-lifetime journey.